Part Time, Hourly Position – 2 hrs/wk. $45 an hour. Meets on Thursdays from 4:15PM through 6:15PM. Several concerts throughout the year, usually on evenings and/or weekends.
(Please note: we have two other accompanist positions available. If the timing of this position doesn’t work for your schedule, please take a look at the other accompanist positions to see if another one works better. It is also possible for a candidate to apply to be an accompanist for more than one position if they are interested in more hours.)
Reports to: SGC Artistic Director and Entrata Director
About Us: Seattle Girls Choir is an organization in which young people are inspired to become the best musicians in the Pacific Northwest, celebrated for their contributions to their community, and encouraged to be their own best advocates. Our combination of music education and youth leadership opportunities provide the 180 youths in our programs aged 5 – 18 with an outlet to express themselves in a world where they are often taught to be silent.
Our Mission: Seattle Girls Choir provides a robust education in the choral arts, helping girls* build skills to succeed in life, and enriching the cultural landscape of the Pacific Northwest.
*encompasses girl-identified youth and gender non-conforming/expansive youth
About Entrata: Part of Seattle Girls Choir’s strength as a program comes from the progression of skill building that occurs as a chorister moves through the organization. However, this can also make it difficult for girls to join SGC past the primary Dolcine years. Entrata is designed to help alleviate that transition into SGC by providing more focused musicianship instruction, so that slightly older girls’ skill levels will more closely match their peers that started younger. Entrata is an entry point for new choristers in grades 3-5. Entrata choristers learn and perform music, but there is slightly more emphasis on core musicianship and literacy skills. At the end of this year long program Entrata choristers usually move into Vivissimi or Allegra, whichever is most appropriate for their skill level and age.See an example of their work here: https://youtu.be/xQT8bl0BbDg
ENTRATA ACCOMPANIST AND THEORY INSTRUCTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Summary: Accompaniment for rehearsals and performances as well as small group theory instruction and classroom management.
Rehearsals and Performances:
- Accompaniment for rehearsals during the choir season from September through June of each year. Entrata rehearsals are Thursdays from 4:15-6:15.
- In coordination with the conductor, support the educational needs and general classroom management of the choristers along with cleanliness of room.
- Along with the conductor, provide additional supervision for girls throughout rehearsal and breaks.
- In coordination with the conductor of your choir, provide small group music theory instruction for Entrata on Thursdays.
- Maintain a record of topics covered and materials used in theory class, to assist in development of the theory curriculum.
- Provide short written evaluations (2+ sentences) of your theory students once a year (end of January).
- Accompaniment at concerts and events as regularly scheduled and mutually agreed to.
- Participation in periodic faculty meetings or one-on-one meetings as requested by the Artistic Director. We typically have one to three meetings per year, scheduled in advance.
- Participation with the Artistic Director and faculty team in development and documentation of the educational program.
- Experience as a choral accompanist preferred.
- Experience teaching and working with elementary aged students in a group setting.
- Ability to explain musical concepts to others.
- The ability to artistically interpret various styles of music.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills.
Work Environment: Throughout the pandemic, our ensembles have been virtual. This summer we will be meeting outdoors to hold our choir day camps at the end of July and August. In the fall, we hope to return to indoor rehearsals while following all CDC and King County Public Health guidelines for performing arts groups. A written summary of these measures is available upon request. When we are able to meet again in person, our rehearsals meet at the Volunteer Park SDA Church in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. (Please note, we are not a religiously affiliated institution.)
Application Deadline: The priority deadline for applicants is June 12, 2021. Rehearsals for Entrata will begin the first week of September.
Seattle Girls Choir works to create a powerful sense of belonging for all our faculty, staff, choristers, family members, and audience members. We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds, races, sexual orientations, and gender identities to apply.
To apply please submit your cover letter, resume, and two references who can speak to your musical or instructional experience to email@example.com. Please include the title of the position, Entrata Accompanist, in the subject of the email.