Part Time, Hourly Position – 2 hrs/wk. $50-$55 an hour, depending on qualifications. Meets on Thursdays from 4:15PM through 6:15PM. Several concerts throughout the year, usually on evenings and/or weekends.
Reports to: SGC Artistic Director
About Us: Seattle Girls Choir is an organization in which young people are inspired to become the best musicians in the Pacific Northwest, celebrated for their contributions to their community, and encouraged to be their own best advocates. Our combination of music education and youth leadership opportunities provide the 180 youths in our programs aged 5 – 18 with an outlet to express themselves in a world where they are often taught to be silent.
Our Mission: Seattle Girls Choir provides a robust education in the choral arts, helping girls* build skills to succeed in life, and enriching the cultural landscape of the Pacific Northwest.
*encompasses girl-identified youth and gender non-conforming/expansive youth
About Entrata: Part of Seattle Girls Choir’s strength as a program comes from the progression of skill building that occurs as a chorister moves through the organization. However, this can also make it difficult for girls to join SGC past the primary Dolcine years. Entrata is designed to help alleviate that transition into SGC by providing more focused musicianship instruction, so that slightly older girls’ skill levels will more closely match their peers that started younger. Entrata is an entry point for new choristers in grades 4-6 primarily. Entrata choristers learn and perform music, but there is slightly more emphasis on core musicianship and literacy skills. At the end of this year long program Entrata choristers usually move into Vivissimi or Allegra, whichever is most appropriate for their skill level and age. See an example of their work here: https://youtu.be/xQT8bl0BbDg
ENTRATA JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Summary: Teach young singers to sing and perform while acting as a strong leader of the ensemble.
- Prepare and conduct weekly classes.
- Instruct ensemble members. Provide the necessary guidance and direction during rehearsals to assist members in learning their parts, singing them well, and performing effectively.
- Choose appropriate repertoire for the ensemble.
- Work with SGC staff to ensure that members attend rehearsals regularly.
- Work with the SGC staff to create performance opportunities.
- Attend periodic meetings with the SGC Artistic Director and other SGC faculty, scheduled at mutually agreeable times.
- Experience teaching music and working with elementary or early middle-school aged youth in a group setting.
- Ability to read music and explain musical concepts to others.
- The ability to artistically interpret various styles of music.
- Strong leadership and listening skills.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills.
Work Environment: Throughout the pandemic, our ensembles have been virtual. This summer we will be meeting outdoors to hold our choir day camps at the end of July and August. In the fall, we hope to return to indoor rehearsals while following all CDC and King County Public Health guidelines for performing arts groups. A written summary of these measures is available upon request. When we are able to meet again in person, our rehearsals meet at the Volunteer Park SDA Church in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. (Please note, we are not a religiously affiliated institution.)
Application Deadline: The priority deadline for applicants is June 19, 2021. Rehearsals for Entrata will begin the first week of September.
Seattle Girls Choir works to create a powerful sense of belonging for all our faculty, staff, choristers, family members, and audience members. We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds, races, sexual orientations, and gender identities to apply.
To apply please submit your cover letter, resume, and two references who can speak to your musical or instructional experience to email@example.com. Please include the title of the position, Entrata Director, in the subject of the email.