Now Hiring: Sorella Director
Part Time, Hourly Position – 2 hrs/wk. $50 an hour. Several concerts throughout the year, usually on evenings and/or weekends.
Reports to: SGC Artistic Director
About Us: Seattle Girls Choir is an organization in which young people are inspired to become the best musicians in the Pacific Northwest, celebrated for their contributions to their community, and encouraged to be their own best advocates. Our combination of music education and youth leadership opportunities provide the 180 youths in our programs aged 5 – 18 with an outlet to express themselves in a world where they are often taught to be silent.
Our Mission: Seattle Girls Choir provides a robust education in the choral arts, helping girls* build skills to succeed in life, and enriching the cultural landscape of the Pacific Northwest.
*encompasses girl-identified youth (cis or trans) and gender non-conforming/expansive youth
About Sorella: Sorella is one of the newest ensembles established within Seattle Girls Choir, with its inaugural group of students joining us in 2019. In Sorella, students aged 13-18 learn how to sing in a variety of pop styles, how to perform effectively on stage, how to work with other musicians, how to arrange and re-imagine their favorite songs for a vocal group, or even how to bring their own songs to life. Along with creative development, they receive further training in music theory, ear training, and sight-reading. Sorella rehearses on Monday nights from 7PM-9PM. See an example of their work here: https://youtu.be/Z-ziYj08eTY
SORELLA JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Summary: Teach young singers to sing and perform in a variety of pop styles. Sorella Director will need to be available on Monday from 7-9PM.
- Prepare and conduct weekly classes.
- Instruct ensemble members. Provide the necessary guidance and direction during rehearsals to assist members in learning their parts, singing them well, and performing effectively.
- Choose appropriate repertoire for the ensemble.
- Work with SGC staff to ensure that members attend rehearsals regularly.
- Select individual ensemble members to perform solos, as needed.
- Provide members with training in the use of microphones and overall stage presence.
- Work with the SGC staff to create performance opportunities.
- Work with the SGC staff to coordinate with additional musicians for performances and tech rehearsals.
- Attend periodic meetings with the SGC Artistic Director and other SGC faculty, scheduled at mutually agreeable times.
- Experience teaching and working with high school aged youth in a group setting.
- Experience performing in pop styles with small ensembles (for example: jazz, rock, blues, R&B, musical theater, etc.).
- Ability to read music and explain musical concepts to others.
- The ability to artistically interpret various styles of music.
- Strong leadership and listening skills.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Desired: familiarity with video communication and online teaching platforms such as Zoom, Flipgrid, and Google Classroom.
Work Environment: Throughout the pandemic, our ensembles have gone virtual. We anticipate that our ensembles will continue to meet virtually through at least the fall. When we are able to meet again in person, our rehearsals meet at the Volunteer Park SDA Church in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. (Please note, we are not a religiously affiliated institution.)
Application Deadline: Our Artistic Director is currently serving as Interim Director of Sorella, and will continue to do so until a permanent director is found. We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis and request your application materials as soon as possible.
Seattle Girls Choir is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds, races, sexual orientations, and gender identities to apply.
To apply please submit your cover letter, résumé, and two references who can speak to your musical or instructional experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title of the position, Sorella Director, in the subject of the email.