Overview, Chorister Expectations, Drop-Off, Pick-Up, What to Bring
SGC rents space from the Volunteer Park SDA Church for our weekly rehearsals and we often refer to this facility as the Choir Center. We are not affiliated directly with the church but one of the renting user groups. Faculty and staff welcome parents to join us in helping remind the girls to use respectful behavior in the building.
Ways you can help:
- Remind children & choristers no running and no loud voices
- No silly behavior/gatherings in the restrooms
- No food or drink on the carpeted areas
- No dogs allowed indoors
Address: 1300 E Aloha, 98102
Parking: There is a driveway mid-block on E. Aloha leading to a parking lot and the main entrance.
Caution: please be mindful of excited little girls darting in the lot!
Please do not park directly on, or block, the patio area of the main doors. Choristers and carpools must be able to clearly see out into the parking lot.
Rehearsal Expectations for Choristers
- Arrive on time for rehearsal so you can be standing in your assigned choir spot ready for rehearsal for a prompt start.
- Use the restroom before rehearsal to avoid disruption by leaving classroom.
- Be prepared by bring your music, pencils, and water bottle to every rehearsal. This also includes practicing your music frequently at home.
- Once rehearsal begins, cease social chit chat. No whispering and giggling. Wait until break to use restroom or water fountain. Break arrives between 1-1.5 hours after start of rehearsal. Please raise your hand when you have a question.
- Turn your phone off and put it in clear box on piano or in bag.
- A conductor may choose to confiscate a phone he/she sees and put it in the box until end of rehearsal.
- Be respectful of the choir and your conductor and do not check messages during rehearsal.
- A conductor may choose to confiscate a phone and hold it until end of rehearsal.
- Eyes on your conductor/instructor during rehearsal.
- Be respectful to every member of your choir as each voice is extremely important. Ideas should be heard without judgment.
- Display strong work ethic by always trying your best, listening to instructions, and putting forth 100% of your effort.
We encourage parents to review these important concepts with their daughters throughout the year.
Regular rehearsals start at 4:30 in the afternoon. Faculty arrive for set up at 4:10. We request that you drop off your daughter in between 4:20-4:30, allowing the faculty time to open the rooms and begin preparing for rehearsal.
Girls may be dropped at the front door and parents watch them safely enter the building. Again, we ask that you drop girls between 4:20-4:30.
Note: Dolcine rehearsal begins at 4:45 therefore doors open at 4:35.
Parents and siblings are welcome to stay on site during rehearsal. There is a family room, #103, at the base of the stairs that is available. You may also wait quietly in the lobby or hallways. Wi-Fi is available through the church: Passwords are posted on the SGC bulletin board in the lobby.
Choristers are to be picked up promptly at the end of rehearsal. It is recommended that you park and come in to the building to escort your daughter out to the car.
Piccolini pick up is 6:00. Dolcine/Vivissimi/Allegra pick up is 6:30.
Monday pick up is 7:30, Wednesday pick up is 6:30.
Late Pick-up Fee
Sometimes unexpected problems can delay pickup, which is why we build in a fifteen-minute window at the conclusion of each activity. After fifteen minutes, however, not only is your daughter kept waiting, our faculty member(s) are also held up for the duration since they need to stand by to assure your child’s safety. Therefore, a late pickup fee is in place to help offset the payroll liability associated with waiting faculty.
- Beginning 15 minutes after the scheduled release time, a fee of $15 will be assessed at the start of each subsequent fifteen-minute increment.
- Your daughter will also be given use of a cell phone to phone parents for an ETA.
If this occurs, you will receive an official late charge invoice from the office.
What to bring to rehearsal
Water Bottle: Important to have on hand during rehearsal at all levels.
Pencils: Several sharpened pencils with erasers – at least 2
Binder: Dolcine and Vivissimi: binder of your choice to carry music to and from rehearsal.
Allegra and Cantamus: 1” black 3-ring binder with no clear plastic sleeve outside
Prime Voci: 1 or 1.5” black 3-ring binder with no clear plastic sleeve outside
Allegra, Cantamus and Prime Voci: one set of alphabetical dividers, A-Z
Snack: All choir rehearsals include a short break for social time and to eat a small snack.
Dress Code: School clothes are appropriate. We are guests of the church space so we ask that our young women make respectful attire choices, keeping midriff covered and no micro-mini shorts or skirts.